Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Aftermath

So after planting trees in cengkareng and seeing monkeys in ragunan, the next morning (Sunday) I went back to puncak. We had a break night party on Sunday night and it reminded me a lot of Asean Dance. It was pretty much like it, actually. Except I didn’t have to sell flowers while couples were slow-dancing like I had to during the 2004 Asean Dance. All the “big shots” in indo debating world were there and gosh I felt like the rookie in that Vietnam war movie who didn’t know shit and died the second the Vietcong started firing. But all in all it was fun, we (the Los) got to blow the confetti and there was this really nice band calld nunungcs (they’re a college band but I hope they’d go pro soon... v.v. entertaining) and I took photos with lots of people I probably won’t see again for a very long time (very few of them stay in Jakarta). I’m definitely gg 2 miss them.

I’ll particularly miss all the LOs... especially rain and teddy and rosaline and joe who’d helped me sell all the EDS T-shirts on Sunday and Monday (we managed to sell around 70 of them and there were only like 3 tshirts left...). My money-hungry senior made a public announcement, “People, please remember to buy the T-shirt in Banteng 3 (my room) thru SPG astari”, once during the break night party and another time the next morning. And feeling that the publication was still inadequate, the LOs patrol around the area in the elephant-shaped safari car announcing to any debater we passed, “come and buy the tshirts at banteng3...” So you can imagine how my living room was turned into a makeshift retail store with swarms of high school students looking to buy T-Shirts, stickers, and whatever it is we’re selling. It was like Mangga Dua in Jakarta, or Lucky Plaza in Singapore, or Petaling Street in KL, what with Teddy selling in Singlish and Joe selling in his Indian-English accent and Rosaline busy calling her “children” to come and buy the tees... it was practically a flea market.

(Hmmh. I just got a disturbing call but nevermind...)

On Monday morning, before I was selling tees I was finishing up my political science homework and trying really hard to concentrate while many disturbances occurred in the premises (not that I’m not happy... even though my roommate told me afterwards that he’s v.v.religious, and that’s not good since we’re on different wavelengths). Later on during the day, my senior-cum-IVED coach dhika told me that whatever happens in the debating world stays in the debating world (creepy green-mile-sounding statement) and she warned me (as iil repeated yesterday too – and added that debating “memandulkan hidup”) that eventually I would be the same, too – having one life in HI, and another separate one in EDS. I wonder if that’ll happen. I don’t mind if I do, others seem to be managing fine.

Although I hope I’ll stay being “a good person”, like someone said I was (I couldn’t stop grinning moronically when he said that, so much that he must’ve changed his opinion – problem is, I don’t think I am a good person. He’d be v. disappointed, that’s why I now feel uneasy around him). I guess we’ll see.

I went back home Monday night, anxious to finish pending homework leading up to exams and cleaning all the shit that’d been piling up grace a mon absence. Things like FISIP UI in High School, One-Stop Section, OIS, KK, CCF (still haven’t prepared the country presentation – where am I supposed to learn a traditional dance?!?), GIC (I finally started Book 3, meaning less hiragana/katakana and MORE kanji... arrrrghhh), my sociology presentation, TKHI (It finished last night, after three months it’s finally over!!! We got yelled at and everything but after I reached home I was very happy. I wonder why? heehee), my film review, my mpkt homework, my anthropology review, and other things making my life the insane labyrinth it is now.

That’s why the last two weeks were dead hectic. Tomorrow after the political science exam am going to a few high schools in Jakarta to inform and prep them on our event (fisip ui in high school) and then on Thursday (tentatively) will look for extra funding for OSS (one stop section, it’s an event-organizing workshop that we’re organizing) by going on this tv show called celebrity jam. Then next Sunday am going to help out in the christmas celebration organized by my faculty. But the main gig this week is EXAMS.

To thwart stress and fellow anxieties we must therefore try to focus on brighter things in life. Like, for example, someone’s coming back this december. Yay...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire your english fluency,very nicely done !